Saturday, February 22, 2014

Heaven will have to wait

Where was I? Ugh, I have 3 days to report on? Forget that noise, here's the cliff notes:

I was at my farmacia on Jueves y Viernes por dos y media horas. For being one of the bigger farmacias, it's a pretty laid back environment, but then again I'm comparing it to CVS. They work hard and their patients seem to enjoy going there. A drug rep from Novartis came in and gave a presentation (on an android tablet) on Panteca (the local brand name for Protonix). She gave me a couple samples of it and Cataflam, a branded version of diclofenac (an NSAID like Motrin for all the laypeople out there). Neither of these medications require recetas (prescriptions) like they do in the states, and Cataflam is pretty popular here.
If anyone is wondering about my opinion regarding medication regulations here, let's just put it this way: these medications are similar to meds that are already over-the-counter in the States. I'll probably have a longer evaluation toward the end of this rotation. Anyway...

I went out to "Cool Bar" Thursday night, then "Tite's" and "Potrero's" on Friday. Cool bar had a dude singing and playing guitar. He opened with the Beatles followed by Pink Floyd, it was a good night. Friday night I went out with my mama tica's neice and her friends. I couldn't talk with them much, but drinking and dancing transcend language barriers.

Our classes changed. I'm with two different students now, but I still feel a little behind, jaja. As my new teacher says, "no preocupa, se feliz." With one week down, there are still a lot of things I would like to improve upon but there is still a lot of time left. I have some loose ends to tie up with projects I started before rotations. It's kind of annoying that I am mentally still stuck back home. I'm going to try to get as much done this weekend as I can.

Today I went on a run up the mountain.
It was pretty much up hill both ways.


I eventually got to the end of this path and had to go back down. I'm not sure how many miles I went at this point.

I found another road that seemed to go up the mountain so I followed it. I ran into this pretty dog and his buddy who you can see in the background. A lot of people here have dogs, and many of them just chill in front of their property. They seem well trained.

This is a property for sale. I'll have to keep it in mind for when I retire.

This is the real reason I felt compelled to go uphill as much as possible. There is a permanent cloud that chills a the top, I have concluded that it contains heaven. My goal for the day was to see how foggy heaven was in person.

I was momentarily defeated when I found the end of my path.

Luckily I found a secret path further up the mountain.

It was beautiful but I had to turn back when the path got real narrow because it was unfamiliar and I didn't bring bug repellant or mountain lion repellant.

Heaven will have to wait.

Pura Vida
Corey

1 comment: