What started as a new and unfamiliar place is becoming more like home. Right now, I am chillin' with papa tica (the man of the house) and a couple other family members while they have lunch. I'm not hungry because I'm still finishing the trail mix my mom made for me before I left. This morning we took a tour of the pharmacias we will be volunteering in. I went with Kerry (the director), Rachel, and Tara to see our sites. They are both in town, a few min walking distance from mi casa. They were polite enough to take the 30min bus ride with me and Kerry to my site in San Raphael. San Raphael is a bigger town and my pharmacia reflects that.
I talked to the pharmacist "la doctora" for a couple minutes and Olga, whom I believe is another pharmacist. Olga spoke a bit of English which is nice but I hope I don't have to rely on that too much. The place is nice and it has several employees. I'm pretty excited to start up next week.
I also tried to check out Gymnasio Olympic Power, a the second gym I wanted to get prices on. The first, Ya Fit, was 18000 Colones (~$40) for a month. My mama tica (mother of the house) told me of a third gym that has a pool and a soccer field, so I will probably check that out after Spanish class today. Last night, my new friend Linsdey and I tried to find a Crossfit gym in San Thomas de Santo Domingo, as she is a big fan of Crossfit. There were some problems, being that the bus stops don't have signs or anything. So we got off late and decided to turn back and try again on the weekend when we had more time. While looking for the taxi stand, Lindsey fell into the curb (most sidewalks are adjacent to ditches that can be up to 2 feet deep and hard to see at night). I felt real bad because I saw it and stepped over. She shook it off and we made our way back.
That day was a little frustrating but I expected some setbacks coming to an unfamiliar land where I don't speak the language without anyone else I know, haha. Anyway, I need to study a little bit before class because I am in the advanced class but probably fall between advanced and intermediate. The teacher told the three of us that we will advance as fast as we can learn, and I don't want to be the weak link. Necesito trabajar mucho :)
¡Pura Vida!
Corey (o Cody)
No comments:
Post a Comment